If you saw my recent videos on YouTube – I shared that I recently found my old food journals… where I wrote down all my recipes that helped me lose more than 40 lbs. I’ve been looking through them… And I wanted to share some breakfasts – specifically high protein breakfasts.
I found that when I was losing weight, breakfast really set the tone for my day of eating – when I have a good breakfast, I make better decisions and just feel good from the beginning.
So I’ve got these easy breakfasts to show you – a protein oat pot, baked oats (which is delicious hot or cold), and smoothies – they’re low calorie but still filling, and they’re all gluten and dairy-free!
What I also love about these breakfasts is that you can make single servings, or you can meal prep them so you’ve got a healthy breakfast ready to go for the week.
PROTEIN OAT POTS (Peanut butter + strawberry)
Instant protein oats that you can prep and cook in the microwave in less than 5 min!
– 1/2 cup instant oats (or blended oats)
– 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder (I use a dairy-free one)
– 1 tbsp peanut butter
– 1/2 cup freeze dried strawberries (or real strawberries added fresh)
– 1 cup milk (I use soy milk, and add right before eating)
– Mix all of the ingredients together in a jar, mug or bowl (only adding the milk right before cooking) and microwave for 2 or 3 minutes
– I microwave it in 30 sec increments, and stir every 30 seconds (I do 2 to 2+1/2 minutes total)
Roughly 410 calories / 28g protein per serving
MUFFIN PIE – AKA BAKED OATS (Banana choc-chip)
Baked oatmeal (which I call ‘muffin pie’) that you can bake once and have breakfast prepped for the week!
– 3 bananas (ripe)
– 2 + 1/2 cups rolled oats
– 2 eggs (or sub with chia eggs, see below)
– 1/2 cup almonds (chopped)
– 1/3 cup brown sugar
– 1/4 cup almond butter
– 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips (I use Lilly’s dark chocolate chips)
– 2 cups milk (I use unsweetened soy milk, any milk works)
– 1 tsp baking powder
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 1/2 tsp cinnamon
– Pinch salt
– Mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl (first smashing the banana with a fork, then whisking with the eggs into the banana, then adding all of the other ingredients in)
– Add the mixture to a baking dish (I use 11×7 inch)
– Add to an oven preheated to 380F (195 C) and bake for 40-45 min until the edges are golden
Roughly 400 cal / 15g protein per serving
*Chia egg substitute to make it vegan (for 2 eggs):
– Mix 2 tbsp chia eggs with 5 tbsp water
– Leave it to soak for 5 minutes
– Add into the rest of the baked oatmeal mixture (and omit the real eggs!)
EASY SMOOTHIE (green mango + vanilla)
This is one of my favorite smoothies from when I was trying to lose weight! To make it less ‘green,’ you can substitute the avocado with plain yogurt. I use 1 + 1/2 cups plain coconut yogurt instead of 1 avocado. Any plain yogurt works! This recipe is actually from my 4 week weight loss meal prep plan!
– 3 cups frozen mango pieces
– 2 scoops vanilla protein powder (I use a dairy-free one)
– 1 medium avocado (roughly 120g, or sub with 1 + 1/2 cups plain coconut yogurt)
– 4 tablespoons dry rolled oats
– 2 small handfuls baby spinach
– 1 cup of water (or as needed)
– Ice to taste (about 1 cup)
– Mix everything together in a blender, and store in airtight jars/ containers in the fridge.
Roughly 405 calories / 27g protein per serving
Photos and video by Liezl Jayne for liezljayne.com